Whether by adding new and better microphones, preamps or plugins, I am always looking to improve the quality of sound coming out of the studio. However, more important than the equipment is the acoustics of the room itself.   While the main room sounded good, I wanted it to sound great.  To that end, I had a professional assessment done which led to an extensive and comprehensive remodeling. I built acoustic diffusors to optimize room reflections in the mid and hi-mid frequencies and installed them on the floors and ceiling.  I moved or removed most of the absorption dividers to open the room up.  I then installed a new bamboo floor and installed bass traps in the corners.  The drum alcove is surrounded with eco-friendly Echo Eliminator™  Bonded Acoustical Cotton panels.

The end result is a room with a clean, natural sound.
Short reverb with excellent sound reinforcement.

Absorbers cut down reflected sound,
but the room was a little too dead… ==>

To smooth out the acoustics, I built and installed 25 diffusors on the walls and ceiling and removed all absorbers except for bass traps in the corner… ==>

The studio looks…

Studio prior to treatment – no diffusors, concrete floor and lots of high frequency absorption.
Due to the variation in surfaces, the acoustics were different depending on where in the room you were.

The final touch is the installation of a new bamboo floor.

… and sounds great!

Below is some video of the making of the acoustic diffusors based on the HOFA design…

Cutting and notching the panels for the diffusors.  350 pieces in 25 diffusors!  Turn down the volume – the saw is LOUD!

Assembling the diffusors.  I could probably train monkeys to do this faster than me.

Placing them on the handmade form. Those 8 cm squares on the left fit into each box.  Then the frame is glued on all four sides. It took a bit of trial and error to get everything right!

Studio prior to treatment – no diffusors, concrete floor and lots of high frequency absorption.

Absorbers cut down reflected sound, but the room was a little too dead.

Due to the variation in surfaces, the acoustics were different depending on where in the room you were.

To smooth out the acoustics, I built and installed 25 diffusors on the walls and ceiling and removed all absorbers except for bass traps in the corners …

The drum area was treated separately with absorption covering all the walls…

The final touch is the installation of a new bamboo floor.